Forum: Support Installation, update and import RSS
Install.php error with latest nightly
TECsBrain #1
Member since Jul 2005 · 16 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Install.php error with latest nightly
Greetings,

Upon uploading the latest nightly, the following error displays when calling install.php:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /home2/tristan/public_html/sv/forums/unb_lib/jabber3.lib.php on line 472

Upon calling index.php, the page displayed is blank.  This is after uploading on top of a current install; prior to that, I tried a fresh install with the same result so I successfully installed the latest stable.
Yves (Administrator) #2
User title: UNB developer & webmaster
Member since Jan 2004 · 3864 posts · Location: Erlangen, Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
What is your PHP version?
♪ ...nanananah, all in all we’re just brilliant thieves, nanananah... ♪♬
TECsBrain #3
4.4.9 or 5.2.6 if I use extension php5 or change my .htaccess.  Which should I stick to?
Yves (Administrator) #4
jabber3.lib doesn't work with PHP4. This should be documented somewhere. PHP4 is discontinued and unsupported anyway, I'd suggest you switch to PHP 5.2 as soon as you can. It's much faster, too. :)
TECsBrain #5
I should be able to throw a .htaccess in to use php5.  Thanks for the tip; I'll report my results.
TECsBrain #6
Yves, you genius!

If anyone else has this problem, depending on your host's configuration, you might be able to add the line

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php .php4 .php3 .phtml

into a .htaccess file and put it in the unb directory (in my case, /forums).  Worked like a charm.
Yves (Administrator) #7
Yes, note the "depending on your host's configuration". Better ask your webhoster or read their documentation how to use PHP5 - or use their web configuration panel to easily select your PHP version. This is a configuration that's highly dependent on the server installation. If you make a mistake in it, your entire forum might be unavailable to the public...
Chris #8
Member since May 2007 · 14 posts · Location: USA - West coast
In reply to post #4
Quote by Yves on 2009-01-03, 10:36:
jabber3.lib doesn't work with PHP4. This should be documented somewhere. PHP4 is discontinued and unsupported anyway,

GAH! When did this happen? I just downloaded devel.20081122 the other day. I just got the chance to
unpack, and install it of a 4.4.9 server, and guess what -
unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in unb_lib/jabber3.lib.php on line 472
 :-/
So I came here looking for info. Since I have no intention of running php5 on the server that I intend to install
UNB on, I guess my question would be; when was php4 support dropped? Or maybe; what's the most recent
version that'll still run on php4?
While I do run php5 on a couple of my servers, my chosen base install on most of them is 4.

Thank you for all your time and consideration.

--Chris

P.S. I'm religious about reading the docs before installing anything. But saw no mention of any requirements.  ;-)

Quote by Yves on 2009-01-03, 10:36:
I'd suggest you switch to PHP 5.2 as soon as you can. It's much faster, too. :)
Chris #9
Member since May 2007 · 14 posts · Location: USA - West coast
Greetings,
 Well, on a hunch, I renamed jabber3.lib.php jabber3.lib.php.disabled. Then:

ln -s jabber2.lib.php jabber3.lib.php

So far, so good - but too early to claim success.  :-)

Best wishes.

--Chris
Yves (Administrator) #10
Yes, there are older versions of the Jabber library available. They had issues with TLS Jabber hosts, like Google Talk or extra-secure OpenFire setups. jabber3.lib.php should be working fine IIRC. Its PHP5 requirement was probably only described in the forum thread that announced the availability of this version, just check out the News forum.

PHP 4 is being discontinued by the PHP team and no longer updated with security-relevant patches for several months at least, maybe even a year already. You should check out www.php.net for the details. I see absolutely no reason to stick with PHP 4 any longer other than hard incompatibilities with ancient PHP applications, which UNB certainly is not. Its core architecture may be from PHP 4 days, but it's been PHP-5-compatible very early.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20120620-dev, © 2003-2011 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 228.6 ms (152.8 ms) · 106 database queries in 172.2 ms
Current time: 2014-07-24, 23:32:20 (UTC +02:00)