A bolt on Private Message system for BlackBoard
Page:  1  2  3  4  5  next 
strobe #1
User title: Just Another User
Member since Oct 2004 · 33 posts · Location: Detroit, MI - USA
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: [Mod] Private Messaging System
Hello - I am in the process of putting together some framework for a private messaging add-on for Black Board.

I would like to hear input from anyone who has any comments, suggestions, or unique ideas.

My goal is to keep it very clean, simple, and user friendly.  Personally, I don't think there is any need for private messaging in forum software, but I'm going to cave in and develop it anyway.

The plans are still on the drawing board, so if anyone has anything to say, now is the time!  :-) I don't want to be the same as all of the other boards, so I'm open to anything right now. The project will be licensed as freeware (or GPL if Yves would prefer).

-- Craig

PS - I am also looking for a name that ties in with BlackBoard.  So far, the best I have came up with is 'NotePasser', but surely there is something better.  Any suggestions on that, let me know  :vogel: .
Don't mind me - I'm utterly clueless.
Yves (Administrator) #2
User title: UNB developer & webmaster
Member since Jan 2004 · 3864 posts · Location: Erlangen, Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Mods have their own unique brand name now? OK, call it "TwoNotes". :-D But I'm not creative either, in fact.

License is almost the same to me, but going along with the code you're modding would be good I think. I can add it to this download page when the time has come then.
♪ ...nanananah, all in all we’re just brilliant thieves, nanananah... ♪♬
strobe #3
Quote by Yves:
Mods have their own unique brand name now? OK, call it "TwoNotes". :-D But I'm not creative either, in fact.

License is almost the same to me, but going along with the code you're modding would be good I think. I can add it to this download page when the time has come then.

Yeah - I'm strange like that, I like to name every project I do - unless it's really small.  A bunch of the phpBB mods carry their own names, so I guess I got into the habit.  Just easier to recognize and discuss by name I guess.

The name is of course, somewhat tongue in cheek.  :moody:  I'm not too serious about it having to carry a name.  :ohr:

-- Craig

Side Note: I am going to attempt to keep my fingers out of the BlackBoard code altogether (aside from calling fucntions).  I'll try to keep it as a standalone script that integrates seamlessly as possible.  So it's not so much of a mod as an add-on I guess.
spaceman #4
Member since Sep 2004 · 295 posts
Can't wait for this Mod!! I've always been waiting for this so called Private Messaging in BlackBoard. However I prefer it to be called a "NotePasser", it sounds strange so that users will definitely check it out when it's installed :-D

Yeah I think stand-alone Mod is great, ie. no modification to the current script files. I vaguely remember that Phorum 5 has stand-alone Mods too, if I'm not mistaken!

Thanks strobe in advance!
BlackBoard > FUDForum > Invision > phpBB2
løde #5
Member since Aug 2004 · 431 posts · Location: Alkmaar, The Netherlands
In reply to post #3
Quote by strobe:
I am going to attempt to keep my fingers out of the BlackBoard code altogether (aside from calling fucntions).  I'll try to keep it as a standalone script that integrates seamlessly as possible.  So it's not so much of a mod as an add-on I guess.

indeed a very good idea!
and as for the name, i like the NotePasser or PrivateNotes (to make it more recognizable)

and as for the suggestions;[list][*]i think it should be near every post, and if you click on it, it would be like "mailto:løde?subject=re:[mod]private mes.."
so that it has the subject of the topic, because that is where you would normaly use it for?
[*]and some system where reply's to the PM's are kept with the original, like with gmail. so that all messages from a conversation are displayed with eachother. such a system would be great!
[*]a importance system? so i send messages with a high or low importance[/list]that's all i can think of now.. :)
succes!
"Want walvissen kunnen immers ook niets, maar zijn toch"
strobe #6
Thanks for the ideas guys, I appreciate it!
strobe #7
Just an update.  I haven't forgotten about this, but I also haven't done a whole bunch yet.  The mod has been started, but with three weddings this month and whatnot, I am short on time.

I'm hoping to jump into this in a couple of weeks, and I don't suspect that it will take too long to get done.  I've already drawn up the mockup screenshots.

Anyway, just a quick update.

--Craig
løde #8
Member since Aug 2004 · 431 posts · Location: Alkmaar, The Netherlands
he, a busy man :)

but nice to see it's not forgotten and you going to work on it! if i can help in anyway.. testing or so.. just scream ;)
"Want walvissen kunnen immers ook niets, maar zijn toch"
alphanostrum #9
Member since Oct 2004 · 84 posts · Location: Germany/Berlin
here is a good exable of a smal pm system. maybe it can give you some inspiration :-). a pm system for blackboard would be very cool.
greeting
alpha
only GOD can judge me...
kodaks (Guest) #10
No profile available.
Link to this post
Subject: Name suggestion:
How about BlackMail  ;-)
Stellaris #11
Member since Nov 2004 · 22 posts · Location: Wattenbek, Germany
hehe,

definitely a cool, albeit threatening, name for a PM system  :-D

is there any chance that it will support jabber messaging? it would tie into the concept of the main board providing jabber support.

if you could beat the phpBB team to it, they'd be cringing in their seats  :-p

but seriously, for me it would be a logical step and judging from the official to-do list for BlackBoard, they only plan on optionally replacing e-mail with jabber.
- Stellaris [stellaris(at)jabber.ccc.de]
Yves (Administrator) #12
Correct, I'm just planning to make a non-email board optional, because there are quite a lot non-jabberites out there. (Unfortunately though... ;)) But I need to make some more thoughts about how Jabber could be better integrated into the board system. Just the notification thing is nothing really unusual nowadays...
Stellaris #13
Quote by Yves:
Just the notification thing is nothing really unusual nowadays...
it's not? is there any other forum software that does this? be it as it may, me and a friend were really happy for the feature to begin with!
Yves (Administrator) #14
Hm, I know of at least phpBB and IPB1 to support this. They may be modded though, but it counts, too, in a way... Of course their Jabber support is (from what I have seen) incomplete and way less seamlessly integrated... ;) phpBB 2.2 is told to be better here, but until that release, BlackBoard* will have a lot of more features of course! :-D

*) Put its new name in here at latest from 2005 on.
Stellaris #15
yeah,

you're right, it counts..

anywho, i'm sure you will kick phpBB's *** with your (up-coming, further) jabber integration. keep up the good work!
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  3  4  5  next 
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20120620-dev, © 2003-2011 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 177.1 ms (132.2 ms) · 141 database queries in 92.2 ms
Current time: 2014-10-23, 13:41:59 (UTC +02:00)