Forum: Support General support RSS
Smillies placement
[Move smilies toolbox to the left]
spaceman #1
Member since Sep 2004 · 295 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Smillies placement
After adjusting the forum width to 720, I noticed that 2.5 columns of the smillies box in the post/reply form has been hide (disappeared from view).

I would like to change its placement below the "Text" (to the left of message body box), which file(s) should I modify & where in the file(s)?

Thanks! I think this will be my last question...(hopefully) :-D
BlackBoard > FUDForum > Invision > phpBB2
Yves (Administrator) #2
User title: UNB developer & webmaster
Member since Jan 2004 · 3864 posts · Location: Erlangen, Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Hm, that's not so easy. But I can offer you another way for this situation. It's not that I haven't thought of that you could run the board in a narrower layout. :-D Well, just go to the Admin CP and enable the "small layout" option. This will optimise the board's layout at some particular places to better fit in the given space. Then, you can disable the option "use right column for smilies" down below and the smilies box will be located to the left of the textbox. It would be wise to decrease the number ow columns in that table then (it's right next to it) so that it doesn't take up so much space. You can re-arrange the order of the smilies in abbc.cfg.php so that you see all the smilies you want to see. Remember that all hidden smilies will still work, the user just doesn't have the ability to click-insert them any more.

OK, this was my design guide for today. ;-) HTH
♪ ...nanananah, all in all we’re just brilliant thieves, nanananah... ♪♬
spaceman #3
Wow..!! Silly me never noticed that feature. It's just exactly what I wanted for the smillies box to be placed after unchecking "use right column for smilies". Very cool!!

Hmm, one more question, what exactly will "small layout" do? I check its checkbox but don't seem to notice any difference around the forum... :??? Thank u.
Yves (Administrator) #4
For example some options in the user profile will be split over two lines instead of packed into one. There are many places this changes something, I don't remember them all. Just find "small_layout" in the source code...
spaceman #5
Oh I guess that means when there's a long line supposed to be fit into a default (big) width, but now I narrowed my forum width, so that long line of text will be split over two or more lines instead, if "Small Layout" option is enabled. Am I correct?

Hmm I must say it definitely is a neat design!

P/s: So I'll continue using the last stable version (ie. v1.5) as my official release to public. I hope no critical issue in it, or is there any? I don't mind some small bugs eg. the login/password box tabbing, globally assigning poll right to guests etc.

(Coz I've modified the public.lib.php a lot as well as the default design layout (but I guess version upgrade shouldn't affect design layout in any way...)
Yves (Administrator) #6
Oh yes, the design has changed since the release, as you can see at this board... There have been quite some changes over most source files already. But that's always the problem with a new version... The best would be you remember in some way what you have changed so that you can apply these changes to a new version again. Maybe some of your modifications have found their way into my source from the discussions here.

You can track the change log. When a new bug is found, it's either on these forums or in the bug tracker. If it's a critical bug that needs to be fixed as soon as possible (there have been such in the past) I'll release a new version from the latest release that fixes the bug. It will most probably not include any changes I have made since 1.5 but only fix the issues that have been found since then. Modification of this version is possible without any problems in most cases. Well, and if a bug was fixed, it'll be in the change log, too. Anyway, a diff/merge tool for the source files is very useful here.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20120620-dev, © 2003-2011 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 130 ms (94.4 ms) · 77 database queries in 73 ms
Current time: 2014-11-21, 18:21:40 (UTC +01:00)