Problem after server change
Page:  1  2  next 
MichaelHe (Guest) #1
No profile available.
Link to this post
Subject: Problem after server change
Hi

I have a little problem.
I have your forum installed in version 1.6.2 and it works (worked) fine.

But now my webhost has move my site to new servers and the forum is now showing nothing.

It show the menu (Forum, Search, Settings, Members and Statistics)
And just below that it writes the end text
Unclassified NewsBoard 1.6.2 © 2003-6 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2008-03-02, 01:55:50 (UTC +01:00)

It's the same when I click search statistics and so on.
The menu and buttom is there but the site context is gone.

I have set all the mod777 as it should, and the whole site plus database has been moved but everything else is working. It's just the forum I'm having these problems with.

I have tried uploading the install file to see if that page could be shown, and it looked fine.

Do you have any idea what could cause this problem ?

best
Michael
PaulP (Guest) #2
No profile available.
Link to this post
Hi MichaelHe,

Maybe you can install a fresh new install in another directory to just test to see if the board works fine.

I suspect that the hoster is blocking specific features........
No error logging that you can look into ?

If the new test board works fine then the hoster is not the problem. If that new test board does not work eigther then you can contact your hoster.
Maybe that is the next step to test.

Kind regards,
PaulP.
Yves (Administrator) #3
User title: UNB developer & webmaster
Member since Jan 2004 · 3864 posts · Location: Erlangen, Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
In reply to post #1
As Paul said, there must be an error message in PHP's error log. Otherwise, it is close to impossible to tell what's the problem. That's exactly what an error log is for. ;)
♪ ...nanananah, all in all we’re just brilliant thieves, nanananah... ♪♬
MichaelHe (Guest) #4
No profile available.
Link to this post
Errorlog... very clever :o)

I have a lot of these errors

02.03.2008 14:36:16 - User 0  - @cp - 74.6.19.218
Access denied.
Backtrace:
  • Forum/unb_lib/cp.inc.php : 3002 : UnbErrorLog("Access denied.")
  • public_html/Forum/forum.php : 116 : require("/home/mltruniv/public_html/Forum/unb_li…")

I looks like a brand new installation works...
So it's only my old installation, which has always works, that doesn't work after the serverchange
Yves (Administrator) #5
I said "PHP error log", not "UNB/board error log". :) PHP logs its error messages either to an independent file or passes them on to the web server (probably Apache) that will include them in the general error log of the site.
MichaelHe (Guest) #6
No profile available.
Link to this post
Hi Again

I have asked my host and I have a php error log, but nothing is in it about the forum.

So I have now tried downloaded the newest 1.6.4 unzipped it and uploaded it in a new folder.
But when I execute the install file it writes:

Warning: file() [function.file]: Unable to access unb_lib/logs/ip.log in /home/mltruniv/public_html/TestForum/unb_lib/common.lib.php on line 3189

Warning: file(unb_lib/logs/ip.log) [function.file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mltruniv/public_html/TestForum/unb_lib/common.lib.php on line 3189

Error: HTTP headers have already been sent! Caused by output from file ~/TestForum/unb_lib/common.lib.php at line 3189. The error was detected after initialisation.

Description: HTTP headers are used to give the web browser information on the content type or how to handle it. These headers are immediately sent to the browser as soon as text content is generated by the PHP script. At this place, the application expected the headers not to be sent yet and needs to add more headers but cannot do so because somewhere else output was generated. This likely happens when custom page elements have been inserted before this code or empty lines or UTF BOMs are present before the opening <?php tag. Please check the above code line and remove the output from there to resolve the error.

Am I missing something ??
Yves (Administrator) #7
Quote by MichaelHe:
I have asked my host and I have a php error log, but nothing is in it about the forum.

Sorry, can't help you then. The only last method to find out, what's going wrong, is to manually debug the application. This can only be done in hold of your FTP account and with very good PHP skills and UNB knowledge.

So I have now tried downloaded the newest 1.6.4 unzipped it and uploaded it in a new folder.
But when I execute the install file it writes:

Warning: file() [function.file]: Unable to access unb_lib/logs/ip.log in /home/mltruniv/public_html/TestForum/unb_lib/common.lib.php on line 3189

Warning: file(unb_lib/logs/ip.log) [function.file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mltruniv/public_html/TestForum/unb_lib/common.lib.php on line 3189

Error: HTTP headers have already been sent! Caused by output from file ~/TestForum/unb_lib/common.lib.php at line 3189. The error was detected after initialisation.

Description: HTTP headers are used to give the web browser information on the content type or how to handle it. These headers are immediately sent to the browser as soon as text content is generated by the PHP script. At this place, the application expected the headers not to be sent yet and needs to add more headers but cannot do so because somewhere else output was generated. This likely happens when custom page elements have been inserted before this code or empty lines or UTF BOMs are present before the opening <?php tag. Please check the above code line and remove the output from there to resolve the error.

Am I missing something ??

Apart from that your web server is configured a little insecure by publicly displaying error message with their full pathnames and contents, I'm not sure at the moment what's causing this. Maybe incorrect file permissions on the server?
jense #8
Member since Nov 2006 · 327 posts · Location: Dortmund
Group memberships: Members
Maybe stricter access rules for user home directories?  The forum is apparently located at server.tld/~username/TestForum/...
Alala, Alala, Gimme three wishes - CSS
Yves (Administrator) #9
The forum doesn't care about the server-local path in which it is installed. This is solely the decision of the server administrator (and a bit that of the webmaster). There are no requirements for UNB.
jense #10
Indeed.  This was merely a web server question (i could imagine that write access is permanently denied for user's home directories)...
Yves (Administrator) #11
Sorry, as I read your previous posting again, I believe I have misunderstood it yesterday.
jense #12
Now I'm pretty sure that it is not seriously possible to grant write access to PHP in these directories.  Neither running as super user nor a world writable home are options...
Yves (Administrator) #13
The only way to grant PHP write access in a multi-user web environment is running the PHP process in the user account who owns the directory, anyway. Obviously this should not be the same account for all users. Use FastCGI+SuEXEC or SuPHP (CGI) to do that. There is no other way, especially not the Apache PHP module! It's another story that only a small part of all server admins seem to know about these tools/methods. As a conclusion, the majority of worldwide web servers is not configured optimally for PHP. Sad but true, as always.
MichaelHe (Guest) #14
No profile available.
Link to this post
Hi again

It writes that it is unable to access this file unb_lib/logs/ip.log
But there is no file with that name.
I have a file in my old forum directory like that, but it is not in the new forum folder.

So if you download the newest 1.6.4 and install it, iti looks to me like this file is needed, though it isn't there ?

I have now copied the ip.log file from my old directory and now it seems to be working ?

Is it possible to download the 1.6.2 version somewhere ?
I would like to see if a fresh install would work. Since I haven't changed anything in the one I have already installed it would be interesting to see if a new install with the exact same files would work....

Unfortunally I haven't got the original zip file. I only have a copi of whats on the website, and this doesn't work.
I have a 1.6.3 version and it works partly.
Yves (Administrator) #15
That's a log file. If it's not there, it doesn't care. Your programme should work on either case. The problem is that it's putting a warning message on the page which it really isn't supposed to do. First, this should be disabled for a secure productive web server by default; second, UNB usually disables it on its own again. Both fail, which makes me assume your web server is not configured correctly.

If you copy the old file, it doesn't harm. It will be overwritten anyway upon the next request. (If it is allowed to.)

Wait, I'll put 1.6.2 into the museum on the download page.
Sorry, I don't have version 1.6.2 and according to my change log, it was never released. So I even can't give you a development snapshot of the day because I don't know the day.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  next 
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20120620-dev, © 2003-2011 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 294.5 ms (175.6 ms) · 125 database queries in 184.6 ms
Current time: 2014-10-25, 09:45:48 (UTC +02:00)