UNB with new Jabber support
Yves (Administrator) #1
User title: UNB developer & webmaster
Member since Jan 2004 · 3864 posts · Location: Erlangen, Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: UNB with new Jabber support
Hello,

I have now updated UNB to use the new xmpphp Jabber client library for Jabber connections. Its main advantages over previously available solutions is that it supports connecting to SSL-only hosts like Google Talk. This requires PHP 5, so it won't run on PHP 4 anymore (according to the xmpphp author, I have done no tests). Additionally, there must be SSL support in PHP.

This update is not a regular version yet. I have uploaded the changed files here so you can replace them yourself. Be sure to have a backup of whatever you overwrite. This update is only supposed to work on the latest development snapshot, but it may also work with older versions.

xmpphp homepage
♪ ...nanananah, all in all we’re just brilliant thieves, nanananah... ♪♬
The author has attached one file to this post:
unb_lib_jabber_xmpphp.zip 7.2 kBytes
You have no permission to open this file.
Saxtus #2
Member since Jan 2007 · 84 posts · Location: Athens, Greece
Group memberships: Members
That means that the board will be able to send messages to both Jabber and Gtalk?
It needs both a Jabber and a Gtalk account for that?
The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything = 42
Yves (Administrator) #3
Jabber uses XMPP.
Google Talk uses XMPP with the requirement to support encryption. (Which is new to this version.)

So I don't understand you question. You only need one account for whatever XMPP-based service you want the board to send messages through.
Saxtus #4
Then it seems I am doing something wrong because I've set up my board to use my server's Openfire long time ago (both Dialback and TLS are enabled), but although it delivers right to an account I have on it, when I've changed my Jabber address to Gtalk one, no message is delivered.

Does anyone else managed to successfully set it up right?
Yves (Administrator) #5
What exactly did you do and what exactly does and does not work right now? I didn't get it.

To be precise: Copy/replace the two files from the attached file above into unb_lib/ to enable the new Jabber support. It is *not* included by default in any complete UNB release by now.
Saxtus #6
I did that in the first place.
Everything points that the problem is at my Openfire server not been able to communicate with Gtalk...
So I have to ask if anyone else uses Openfire and made it to work!
Saxtus #7
Server problems fixed when I've updated to Openfire v3.5.1 (released at 25-Apr-2008) as it fixed back the communication problems with Gtalk servers (server2server communication). I had to revert to Jabber2 class though as the Jabber3 was returning errors at UNB log (-3).

Now Openfire log indicate that messages from board are leaving my local server (this is what UNB is using to send messages) and go to Gtalk's one. UNB log is error free too (remember: Jabber2 class not Jabber3). Yet they are returning back with error: "<error code="503" type="cancel"><service-unavailable xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/></error>"

Local Openfire users get messages normally as always.
So, Google talk is somehow protecting users from unknown contacts or it's something else? I am using Gtalk's original client.
Did any of you managed to receive UNB's XMPP messages cross-server?

Thank you.
This post was edited on 2008-04-27, 22:25 by Saxtus.
Saxtus #8
Replying to myself as I've just made it work.

Solution was to send invitation to the contact that the forum uses as originator (this has the side effect of having contacts in limbo with the status "invited" on them). It seems Gtalk has some anti-spam measures in place and until now that's the only way I've found to bypass it.

Is there a more elegant solution to bypass the "add me first" solution that will make me posting a UNB announcement at each of my boards of what is the XMPP contact that Gtalk users have to send invite too?
Yves (Administrator) #9
Do you have your OpenFire server configured to require c2s encryption? If not, it should already have worked with all previous Jabber libraries in UNB. If yes - or if you really tried sending the message from UNB directly to the Google Talk server, not your OpenFire - jabber3.lib.php should be the first to actually do anything.

I don't know of any anti-spam measures regarding Google Talk. But I haven't done real tests yet. IMO, spam isn't a problem with IM by now. At least not in Jabber. The only spam I receive from time to time comes from ICQ.
Saxtus #10
OpenFire was always configured at my server to have c2s and s2s encryption as optional for maximum compatibility.

I can confirm that Gtalk blocks messages from people not in contact list without giving an option to alter this behavior. Now if UNB was able to send invitation request and/or allow persistent connection showing as always available (like Alertra's XMPP service does) it should work with anything as it will act as legitimate user.

No, I didn't attempt to make UNB talk directly to Gtalk server as that would require to open and maintain a second (third, forth, etc) Google account(s) for (each of) my UNB installation(s), a step that I am trying to bypass by using local XMPP server.
This post was edited on 2008-04-28, 22:54 by Saxtus.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20120620-dev, © 2003-2011 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 165.9 ms (130.8 ms) · 102 database queries in 93.1 ms
Current time: 2014-11-28, 22:20:53 (UTC +01:00)