New UNB website
Yves (Administrator) #1
User title: UNB developer & webmaster
Member since Jan 2004 · 3864 posts · Location: Erlangen, Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: New UNB website
Good afternoon,

as you may already have noticed, this website looks somewhat different for two days now. This is the new design and content I may have referenced sometimes already. It features a new and hopefully more intuitive structure, more translated pages (still only English and German though) and an updated documentation section. The navigation issues that some of you have reported before (fixed element in the top-right corner that was in front of some controls; too small and complicated to use) should be pretty much solved now. The bloated IE7 workaround is also gone now for Internet Explorer support, only the PNG hack remained which should be a lot faster.

But this website is still far from being complete. Most of all the documentation section looks quite empty. I have converted almost all of the old content where it was applicable to the new UNB version. But for example the usage section is still empty. If you like to participate in creating content for those pages, please tell me. If you should find any errors or things you would express more smoothly (mostly on the English pages), please tell me or publish it in this forum. The website can support more languages than de and en, so if you feel like some parts of the website (preferable the more static parts like documentation) should be available in your language, the same as above applies.

But since some parts of the documentation are more up-to-date now, especially the FAQ and the new troubleshooting page, I'd like all of you to first check these pages when you found a problem. A good entry point should be the Support/Contact page.

To give discussions about the website an appropriate home, I have added a new forum "Website feedback" where we can talk about all the mentioned topics in the future.

Having that said, I hope you like the new website. :)
♪ ...nanananah, all in all we’re just brilliant thieves, nanananah... ♪♬
halr9000 #2
User title: Psi Webmaster
Member since Jul 2004 · 157 posts · Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Group memberships: Members
Quote by Yves:
But this website is still far from being complete. Most of all the documentation section looks quite empty. I have converted almost all of the old content where it was applicable to the new UNB version. But for example the usage section is still empty. If you like to participate in creating content for those pages, please tell me.
Try a wiki...  :)
-hal
http://psi.affinix.com
http://halr9000.com
Yves (Administrator) #3
User title: UNB developer & webmaster
Member since Jan 2004 · 3864 posts · Location: Erlangen, Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by halr9000:
Try a wiki...  :)

I have thought of that but the backside is that it doesn't really integrate with my website. At least not without considerable amount of work and so on... Relatively static pages like any other here seemed the easiest way to go for now. Maybe I'll include a wiki here some time... Wikis also want to be maintained intensively. If someone means to destroy or manipulate the information, someone must be there to restore it quickly.
♪ ...nanananah, all in all we’re just brilliant thieves, nanananah... ♪♬
halr9000 #4
User title: Psi Webmaster
Member since Jul 2004 · 157 posts · Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Group memberships: Members
Quote by Yves:
I have thought of that but the backside is that it doesn't really integrate with my website. At least not without considerable amount of work and so on... Relatively static pages like any other here seemed the easiest way to go for now. Maybe I'll include a wiki here some time... Wikis also want to be maintained intensively. If someone means to destroy or manipulate the information, someone must be there to restore it quickly.

Well you raise several points I could address...

1. It would certainly be cool if any wiki would integrate with your website.  I would suggest Mediawiki of course.  :)  If UNB had LDAP support, MW has an LDAP extension.  Anyway...
2. Static pages mean static information.  Self-evident, I know but I've just been really happy with how the wiki has worked for the Psi project.  We've been able to react really quickly because a few individuals just jumped in on their own, because they could.
3. There are ways to alleviate wiki vandalism.  I have been reading up on that quite a bit actually.  The three times that the PsiWiki has been hit I've known about it within 12 hours.  Then I put in an automatic countermeasure (bad behavior) and the script vandalism has been reduced to zero.  Manual vandals can still have their way, but you can reduce the effectiveness by protecting certain key pages.
-hal
http://psi.affinix.com
http://halr9000.com
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20120620-dev, © 2003-2011 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 144 ms (101.2 ms) · 60 database queries in 81.6 ms
Current time: 2014-12-21, 17:35:58 (UTC +01:00)